Ryan Carter, bone marrow donor and football player for University of Massachusetts-Amherst
(AURN) -- July is African-American Bone Marrow Awareness Month and blacks awaiting bone marrow transplants face a harsh reality. Of the 10-million potential bone marrow donors in the “Be The Match Registry,” only 7% of eligible donors are African-American.
Ryan Carter a 20-year-old football player for the University of Massachusetts Amherst donated his bone marrow and saved the life of a 5 year old child. He's working daily to dispel some of the myths and misperceptions about bone marrow donation.
- Four Little Girls Honored
- Damaging Photos of Trayvon Martin Released
- Bridge Collapses in Washington State
- Longtime GA State Rep. Pleads Not Guilty
- President to Talk Drones in Defense Speech
- Funerals Begin for Young Tornado Victims
- Terrorist Beheads British Soldier [VIDEO]
- President to Visit Disaster Area in Oklahoma